Mechwarrior Tactics

Posted by IceVamp 
Mechwarrior Tactics
January 14, 2013 08:18AM
Why are no one talking about this?

[mwtactics.com]
[www.penny-arcade.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Though long since shrivelled to a husk, I felt a twinge in my excitement nerve.

Free to play with shareable replays, and tcg like elements for getting new stuff. Might just work.

Edit: [mwtactics.com] <- Super collated information post you might need to sign up to see

-I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 08:37AM by IceVamp.
Re: Mechwarrior Tactics
January 14, 2013 08:25AM
<---- not going through the NEXT "BETA" experience, nope thanks.
January 14, 2013 08:33AM
But I'll need someone to play against/with/on/in!

Edit: Since it's unity browser based I'm having a gander at work. Soo slow on this computer though. I'll test properly when I get home and report my findings. I'm very intrigued atm though.

January 14, 2013 03:11PM
I am rather interested in it. Gives me a chance to try the "real" BattleTech experience (well, heavily altered though), in a fancy looking PC game.

But yeah, I am also not motivated enough to participate in the Beta winking smiley. I'll enjoy it when it's released and/or mature enough.
January 15, 2013 06:48PM
Because it looks awful and has a MTG style booster shop?

January 15, 2013 06:56PM
[cjw.dyndns.biz]

I'll play with you Ice, not in beta however...

"SORRY, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my tits! what were you saying?"
January 15, 2013 07:10PM
Yalk, I heartily suggest you check your Facebook messages smoking smiley

January 15, 2013 07:44PM
Will do

Super Wub edit: Um, fucking A man....awesome

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 08:19PM by Yalk.
January 15, 2013 11:47PM
Oh, we have talked about it.

Anyway, it's very slow. I don't think they have the criticals properly in the game. I hit a hunchback in the back, where it had 0 armour for several turns with a ppc and a bunch of ml's and nothing happened. Moved in front of it and stripped all armour there and finally it died.

But the premise of it is well enough I guess.

January 16, 2013 01:39AM
Sounds like another game with a hunchback I remember....elevators

Seems accurate to me

January 25, 2013 03:48AM
I'm in

January 25, 2013 03:22PM
Walk forward 5 hexes then next turn... WTF why am I 200ft in the air?

I don't know about MWT its the website, just shows that Optimus Prime raped Yugi-oh and the result was a Mech Warrior game.

I don't know I could be wrong here but the game seems like the developers have gone, Hmmm shall we make a CBT game, yeah how about we make Megamek in full 3D with fancy graphics, awesome lets do it but wait i know how can we make it more hip and happening to the "modern" crowd..... Combine it with a trading card game!

If they just made a cool working full 3d hex based CBT game but only with mechs with all the critical slots and critical effects and such added in would be cool

But you know what would be even more awesome, a CBT game that's like Combat Mission that would be an amazing game.

Remember shoot or die!
January 25, 2013 04:23PM
mechwarrior rts in men of war engine. my body is ready
January 25, 2013 11:20PM
Well, they want to get the kidz, and all the kiddz start out with them social fb games.

Hmm.. a remake of MechCommander then? Could be nice.

January 26, 2013 02:33AM
Deathbane
mechwarrior rts in men of war engine. my body is ready

My keyboard...cum filled

January 26, 2013 02:41AM
I think I'd like to see a MechCommander reboot made on the Supreme Commander engine for massive battles where Arrow 4's and Long Toms don't get called in from off map.
January 26, 2013 10:39AM
That would be cool, but you kinda lose that awesome machine of war feeling when you have 500 of the things. Unless you put in infantry.. hmm

January 26, 2013 01:53PM
IceVamp
That would be cool, but you kinda lose that awesome machine of war feeling when you have 500 of the things. Unless you put in infantry.. hmm

I've always thought MoW or CoH would both be good for a mech warrior rts mod

....and it would be more keeping with lore, mechs are expensive and often "big" battles for planets are between 30-60 mechs total, not hundreds

January 27, 2013 04:53AM
Yeah but the problem with MoW and CoH is the scale, the map sizes are too small and although the vehicles would be accurately portrayed scale wise, but how would they fit in say a Atlas that would probably take up half the map.

As awesome as it would be the scale would be derp and would probably end up broken, as here you are with DoW2 thats on the CoH engine having a CoH infantry squad with their scale fighting a Eldar Wraith-Lord with DoW2 scale it would work with light mechs and maybe mediums but Heavy and Assault would be too derp.

Men of War would fit better as some of those maps can be huge but even then the maps would be too small but with MoW physics of heres your rocket trooper with a SRM firing it at a Medium mech, then all it does it pounce off and make a ping sound, then suddenly the mech turns round and machine guns or lasers the infantry to death.

it would be a glorious moment same thing with mech on mech combat, a AC2 from a Jagermech pings off the armour of a Atlas, the Atlas then responds in kind with a Gauss-slug then suddenly the Jagermech explodes and falls over as the Slug has just gone straight through its CT.

MoW would probably work better than CoH as the fact of in MoW you can damage but not destroy the engine of a tank making the crew bail.. you then grab a repair kit fix up the engine and the damaged track then hey dandy you have a Tiger Tank to play with.. similar aspect could apply with tanks and mechs in such way that it yould be a salvage team or a refit truck or something.

Though SupCom (Supreme Commander) would ideally be a better game for it as it would accurately depict the scale as the maps in that are silly darn huge and Unit scale would effect certain stuff.. infantry and vehicles could be done but it would be a bit strange so it would probably be best if it was only BA/PA instead of infantry though vehicles are fine.

But then here for a example you have a Harasser that's tiny storming it up to an Atlas and the scale and size difference would be, see that large angry Commander sized robot? that's the Atlas, See that insignificant speck that's the Harasser... well not any more its a smouldering wreck. but the game mechanics would make a CBT mod for SupCom a bit strange.

So I would say if you can make much bigger maps in MoW and with a little scale tweaking that it would be the top choice for a CBT mod, it would also have to be tactical and not normal generic base build, though being able to call upon a limited number of reinforcements would work.

Remember shoot or die!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 04:55AM by Trunham.
January 27, 2013 03:55PM
Mechs aren't THAT big trunham....nor are the maps THAT small in COH....I enjoy them better due to them being boxes rather than rectangles in mow

I do enjoy the killing crew thing and salvage from mow

Most big battles in BT are fought with conventional armies....tanks and infantry, a mech entering the field is drastic escalation, in all the books you always followed a mechwarrior so you didn't always see or care about the rest of the army

Picture MW3 intro

So in CoH or MoW you'd mostly be fighting with infantry and tanks.....the first to bring a mech out could change the game.....or if you blew it up with mines or infantry could then swing it the other way with them having used tons of resources sunk into it......this would lead to players having to decide between a few mechs (lance or star) or swarms of conventional infantry and tanks....

Supreme commander you'd just end up with swarms of mechs and would be boring as fuck....it might could work, I just like managing squads better than huge unwieldy armies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 03:58PM by Yalk.
January 27, 2013 04:59PM
No they arnt that big but the maps are still too small, think of a CBT or Megamek Map they can vary in size but generaly they are big enough. it takes 3 maybe 4 turns to cross the entire map, yet with MoW or CoH it would be hey I have a mech its walking across the map oh its already traversed the map and is in the enemy base in a few paces, only the 6 to 8 player maps would be large enough really.

But still MoW would probably be the better choice simply for the whole physics of armour penetration, ricochet and the repair/salvage functions and such, SupCom would be too large.

Remember shoot or die!
January 30, 2013 04:43AM
1. The 4 player maps would be fine as well....the only mechs that would do what your talking about would be the ultra fast light mechs, they are big enough to allow maneuver/scouting etc without rendering infantry and tanks completely pointless

2. I'm thinking you'd have at most 2 lances/stars

3. There are not ricochets in Battletech, everything can hurt everything...otherwise lights/infantry/hover (anything not a 100 ton assault) would be pointless

You could capture enemy mechs with head shots, or disabling them

Either would work, shrug

ON TOPIC

It plays really slowly...things aren't always intuitive, even for a CBT veteran

January 30, 2013 05:08PM
I have zero interest in MW:T because I don't want some booster pack p2w bullshit game, the mechs look FUCKING RETARDED, and honestly if it's not a direct port of CBT (ergo: megamek with graphics) I am just not interested. From what I have heard this is not the case. Soooo.
January 30, 2013 08:16PM
Well 8 out of 10 FTP MMO games are PTW, the 2 that remain are such a chore of a grind that they cease to be interesting or entertaining very quickly.

For me if I feel comfortable enough to PAY money on the game (any free to play that is not one in particular) then they have done something right.

As for MWT the one real thing that puts me off the game is the whole cards deal, WHAT IS THE DEAL with them are they bonus abilities or some such like a "use this card and have better hit chance with ACs" or something or is it simply as Leeko was sugesting that the cards are your "pack" so if you want a Jenner, you have to buy 6 booster packs in order to finally get a Jenner after getting 10 Commandos and a Raven?

Thats what it was like with te bloody clicks Mech Warrior Dark ages got i lost count how many fucking Wasps I got... most the time i had to rely on my suprior BA and Vehicles the only worth while mechs I had out of all 10 of them was a Veteran Hatchet Man and a Ghost that was re-rigged with a Diesel engine witch doesn't make sense.

Remember shoot or die!
January 31, 2013 04:40AM
Leeko
I have zero interest in MW:T because I don't want some booster pack p2w bullshit game, the mechs look FUCKING RETARDED, and honestly if it's not a direct port of CBT (ergo: megamek with graphics) I am just not interested. From what I have heard this is not the case. Soooo.

It pretty much is just that....so you've heard wrong

I'm still unsure of it

The mechs do look...retarded, but to be fair most of the original tro's look FUCKING RETARDED, soooo... Can't really blame them for that

Trunham

As for MWT the one real thing that puts me off the game is the whole cards deal, WHAT IS THE DEAL with them are they bonus abilities or some such like a "use this card and have better hit chance with ACs" or something or is it simply as Leeko was sugesting that the cards are your "pack" so if you want a Jenner, you have to buy 6 booster packs in order to finally get a Jenner after getting 10 Commandos and a Raven?

Thats what it was like with te bloody clicks Mech Warrior Dark ages got i lost count how many fucking Wasps I got... most the time i had to rely on my suprior BA and Vehicles the only worth while mechs I had out of all 10 of them was a Veteran Hatchet Man and a Ghost that was re-rigged with a Diesel engine witch doesn't make sense.

Pretty much this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 04:43AM by Yalk.
January 31, 2013 10:30AM
Yeah, that's the point of the card. You buy booster packs, and inem you find your gear and mechs. I've bought about six with ingame currency and have gotten mechs enough for a new lance from that. Mostly heavies and an assault for some reason. Thing is, you can get several different chassis. Some of em are completely modifiable and some are more set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 10:31AM by IceVamp.
January 31, 2013 09:59PM
Well if they have a Mech-lab why the hell do they have the Cards.

Or is the mech-lab only for mechs that are modifiable or bare chassis that come in the intent of "make your own"

Still the whole Booster pack idea I hope they scrap here i am buying booster packs in hope of a Jagermech I don't want to buy 12 odd booster packs only to then not get one. If you could sell the crap you don't want from the contents of a booster pack then that wouldn't be so bad at least they wont be such a waste of money in that sense

Remember shoot or die!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 10:01PM by Trunham.
February 01, 2013 04:39AM
I got a jäger mech out of my 4th or 5th pack lol

The rare mechs can be modded or come empty to equip with stuff

I also have 5 stalkers eye rolling smiley

February 01, 2013 11:09PM
So you can quadruple cock slap players repeatedly, YES!

Remember shoot or die!