Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DooM 4

Posted by haarp 
DooM 4
July 18, 2014 05:18PM
I'm sure we've all seen the teaser by now:
[www.youtube.com]

looks like Starcraft 2 meets Pacific Rim. Not bad.

Anyway, yesterday's Quakecon revealed a lot more information, but they didn't allow anyone to film it. Some reactions I've heard:
- Very faithful to the original!
- Based on the new idTech 6 engine
- Hyper gory and bloody as fuck
- There are melee finishers ala Serious Sam 3
- Doomguy gets his iconic helmet back and is fast as hell
- Game focuses on speed and evasion, definitely not hiding behind cover waiting for health to regenerate
- Monsters look awesome
- Monster infighting is back
- Revenants have jetpacks now
- Most of the original guns are back - no reloading!
- Great atmosphere and music (Quake-style)
- No scripted bullshit events

Ooh fuck yeah!

edit: more: [www.youtube.com]

If the radiance of a thousand suns
were to burst, at once, into the sky
It would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death, the shatterer of worlds.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2014 07:56AM by haarp.
Re: DooM 4
July 18, 2014 08:15PM
Crytek lead graphics engineer moves to id Software for Doom
[www.dsogaming.com]

July 18, 2014 11:21PM
Interestinger and interestinger.

Dat door sound.. mmh. Hopefully they make a real Doom game, that harkens back to the original good ones. And forget all about "scawwy" nr 3.

-I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.
July 19, 2014 11:50AM

Update 666: Trailer of monsters, “unholy fusion of flesh and metal.” They look pretty Pacific Rim like, which makes sense given that they have one of the movie’s main artists on it.

Trailer ends with a shotgun loading sound. Pretty insubstantial. There will be slimy, ugly monsters. Not even sure if that was in-engine.

Update 667: Oh, now it’s time for the real details. Game is just called Doom, not Doom 4. Origin story, reimagining. Takes place on Mars.

Update 668: And then I lost connection for the entire demo. Took notes, though. Here you go:

Doom created to be fast, brutal. Not waiting around for health to recharge. Showed quick animatics of enemies getting gibbed. Looks OK.

There will be fast-paced competitive multiplayer. Will run on a new evolution of their tech, Id Tech 6.

Game will be on PC and next-gen consoles.

Demo time. Marine puts on helmet. Walks through corridors I’m big facility. Tons of lava below. Finds a trail of blood. Graphics look nice, but nothing insane. Level design seems very linear.

Demons appear. Super quick movement. Shooting followed by tearing into demons and ripping out organs, all in one quick movement. Just slide forward and finish them, sometimes with a trip that leads into a thunderous slam. Enemies break apart like moldy bread. Literally tearing them in half sometimes. Almost God of War esque in that respect. Hyper violent. Very fast.

Need a hand to use a key scanner. Go rip the arm off a corpse and push it against the scanner. This is ridiculous.

Go upstairs. Surrounded by demons. Shotgun them, stun, and move in for the finish. Crushing heads, chunks flying everywhere.

Lots of walkways and rails. Demon gets shot and falls in half. Demons are pretty basic. Humanoid. Long-range spell attacks and up close clawing.

Finds beam assault rifle. Mowing everything down with it. Lots of explosions now. Leaping on top of crates and rails and slamming down on enemies.

Encounter hologram of someone saying they’ve “lost containment.” That’s an understatement.

Update 669: First demo ends with a demon ripping the player’s arms off and beating him to death with them. Seriously.

Second demo. Walk through quiet, less lava-filled warehouse area. Then demons. Player finds the chainsaw, which peels enemies in half like rotten banana peels. They get all floppy and everything. Ewwwwww.

There’s a radial menu you can pop up to switch weapons. It briefly slows down time.

Bigger demons show up in slightly more open room full of crates. Tough, mobile. Can climb stuff. They are mean, but they explode into sinew confetti like everything else.

Then a big fat demon. Super slow, but has multiple projectile attacks. Kill it by ripping out the pustule in its stomach and shoving it down its own mouth, causing it to explode into a pile of lard and entrails. Somewhere, the concept of pacifism weeps.

Open a door. Cyberdemon towers over player, roars. Then the demo ends.

The game looks… interesting. The emphasis on melee definitely changes the flow of combat, and double-jumping mixed with light parkour antics mean there’s a little verticality to the proceedings. Also it is insanely, ludicrously violent. I liked the part where the man who was beating everyone to death with their own arms got beat to death with his own arms. That’s basically fucking poetry.
[www.rockpapershotgun.com]

July 23, 2014 04:29AM
No John.. You are the shitty console port!

And then John gave the bribe money to IGN.

Remember shoot or die!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 04:41AM by Trunham.
May 19, 2015 09:19AM
[www.youtube.com]

All aboard the hype train

May 19, 2015 12:25PM
Think it might be legitimately good, willing to see how it turns out.

I actually enjoyed 3. Yes it was different, and took itself serious business, but it was still a pretty good game.
May 19, 2015 08:47PM
Deathbane
Think it might be legitimately good, willing to see how it turns out.

I actually enjoyed 3. Yes it was different, and took itself serious business, but it was still a pretty good game.

I've only ever played 3 and I found it good at the time.

Human + CJW = Spit drooling retard

[giant.gfycat.com]
[oi60.tinypic.com]
June 15, 2015 07:06AM
[www.dsogaming.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 07:17PM by haarp.
June 17, 2015 08:23PM
You can definitely see it's an ID game. It's very similar in level design at least.
Looks pretty good. Too bad they showcased it on a console.

-I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.