Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Server Rotation Recommendations

Posted by Warlord Kentax 
Warlord Kentax
Server Rotation Recommendations
January 26, 2014 06:10AM
While it is awesome to have alpha dedicated to stock maps and not any custom maps, the result is typically that no one gets to play any custom maps anymore. Sure, beta gets some players here and there, but nothing like alpha. It would be nice to see alpha with some custom maps. Maybe shuffle 1 in every week or so so that we dont get bogged down with downloads, while still providing new maps to our new and old players alike.

I think that a mix of TSA and TC would be best. 3 TC maps in a row, then 1 TSA map, then 3 more TC maps, 1 TSA map, then repeat any number of times you think would work. I think a 12-map rotation sounds awesome.

TC Slurm
TC Qandahar
TC Ring of Fire
TSA Rivers
TC Snowblind
TC Zoetemeer
TC Seaport
TSA GoldenRocks
TC Phlegeton
TC Deathvalley
TC Frostbite
TSA Extremity

is my dream rotation, for example, but of course you'd want to stick mostly to standard maps.

Map recommendations (in order of preference):

First off. No point-based TSA, it makes the games take too long, especially in a runaway game (9000 vs 1000 for example). If a TC or ticket-based TSA match with a 1hr time limit makes it all the way to 1hr, then it was probably a good match. If it was a stomp it wont make it to 1hr and the other team doesn't have to suffer through a game they know they can't win. I havent played harvest, so its not in here. Maybe you should run it to see how people like it. I haven't seen it up very much.

TC_Slurm, because Duff. Because, though it is a silly map, it is well made, lots of fun, and very alien

TSA_River, because Duff. Because it is one of the better TSA maps. If you really want to you can take LRMs, otherwise the map is mostly brawling, which is nice for a change over TSA_Mirage or TSA_Sandblasted. VTOLs aren't all that frustrating because of the ceiling.

TC_Qandahar, because Duff. Flying turtles (look for them, they are in the map). Fun long range map. Too many base turrets. Nice base configuration. Slow mechs are viable despite the size of the map. Requires teamwork to keep your planes supplied with ammo, repairs, and coolant.

TSA_GoldenRocks, because Duff (Didn't he work with RDL Vitos to make this one?). Its beautiful. Nice mix of long range and short range.

TC_RingofFire, because it has so much elevation gain, planes are boss, but still counterable. Lots of nice clear water for fun aquatic combat. Lots of opportunities for sneak attacks and flanking.

TC_Snowblind, because Enkelaudus is soooooo big. Snowblind gives you mech bays closer to the center than Enkelaudus does making it a lot easier to run assaults, a major issue with Enkelaudus.

TC_Zoetemeer, because its size provides lots of opportunities for light mechs to back cap but also gives assaults the chance to shine by keeping planes out of the equation and reducing sight range making brawly assaults very viable.

TC_Seaport, because aerospace are severely limited. It requires teamwork to keep the runway under friendly control. The underground tunnels make for some intense close-quarters brawling and opportunities for flanking. Skyscrapers and other buildings reign in the power of LRMs while Hills and cliffs make them at least situationally useful.

TC_Phlegeton, because you need at least one hot map and TC_Inferno forces you along only a few predetermined paths. The rough terrain and lava makes any shortcuts or flanking maneuvers too difficult. In Phlegeton, the terrain is a lot more friendly and lets you choose more interesting routes to get where you want to go and since you aren't forced down only a couple of predetermined paths stealth becomes and option.

TC_Deathvalley, because it allows for back capping, allows for brawling in the center, and is only just barely on the too large side.

TSA_Extremity, because it really shows off how pretty MWLL is and gives jumpjets a place to really shine.

TC_Frostbite, because it is symmetrical about a different axis than most maps and it provides more than 3 different main approaches to the combat, East, West, and Central.

TC_Lunacy, the only “Area” Control map that really holds up (sorry Flatlands). Lunacy gives some low-grav, low-heat combat with plenty of hills and tunnels. Repair bays are far away and prevent assault camping in the center. Area Control gives TC a whole different feel and Lunacy does that best.

TC_Dustbowl, Flatlands may not be the best, but Dustbowl is great. Loads of high-aimed AA turrets keep planes at low elevations instead of balooning over your head. Repair bays in the corners prevent one side from capping the middle and holding the whole map from there. Ammo in the center means that holding the repair bays indefinitely can be tough without some energy weapons.

TC_Mirage, because its awesome. Plenty of alternative routes, lots of opportunities for back capping and flanking, good with narcs, not very good with unsupported LRMs.

TC_StoneRose, because too many turrets, but awesome mixture of canyon tops and canyon bottoms letting you get the drop on your enemies and making you ever more watchful.

Maps not to use:

TC_Marshes, because (though not always) the game ends up becoming “who can cap the center first” then that team wins.

TSA_Sandblasted, because it has been played to death. Maybe, one day, out of nostalgia it should be played. Otherwise, keep it out of your rotation, so, so, so repetitive.

TC_Sandblasted, because derpy newbs take lots of LRMs thinking that it is a long range map and ruin it for their whole team because LRMs will only get you 1 of the 3 posts.

TC_Ivorytowers, because IS heavies are screwed over and Ryokens are king. The forward repair/mech bays only work for mediums and smaller, no treads assaults or heavies. Clan heavies can afford to return to main base to repair, but IS heavies and most treaded vehicles are too slow. I've also noticed a few people having buggy issues with the forward bases and not being able to repair their lights or mediums there.
Re: Server Rotation Recommendations
February 03, 2014 05:03PM
Ok, I have to ask this...and its only slightly sarcastic, I genuinely would like a reply

If Alpha is the server with the most pop and it is the server playing official maps only...then, doesn't it stand to reason that it is because people enjoy playing on the official maps more than the communities? I'm no scientist but....wait, I am a scientist! ....so yes, if people were calling to play custom maps then wouldn't the majority be playing on Beta? Does it make sense to go to the trouble of adding a single community map weekly to a server populated by seemingly people not interested in playing community maps, thus them being in alpha and not beta?

...if you had a big in game chat discussion about this then fair enough

good detailed post on your opinions of maps...

I would agree with taking Sandblasted out of rotation, Marshes also - but because it made people crash, I actually like the map

Can non members make a poll in the section haarp? if they can I would suggest that you create a poll and get anyone you know who plays (even people you dislike) to come vote for the maps the current player base would enjoy, official and un-official maps both....If you can get say, a full servers worth or even half a servers worth of votes, then remake Alpha in the players choice server (MAPS BY POPULAR DEMAND) ...because Haarip gets a fair amount of "can you change this map for this one? "

Beta could be closed, I don't honestly see the point of 2 servers...or hell, make beta, TS-Sandblasted 24/7, would give people a place for trials etc if players still do that sort of thing...

"SORRY, I couldn't hear you over the sound of my tits! what were you saying?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 05:07PM by Yalk.
February 05, 2014 03:40PM
Please feel free to make polls, but you'll need an account for it.

I am considering turning Alpha and Beta into one server again. Not sure when I'll get around to doing that.

Honestly, I'd really like some sort of vote system that keeps the map rotation dynamic and acceptable. I wanted to do an ingame voting hack once, but with ~20 players left, it's not really worth starting such a project.

Feel free to vote on the forums tho.

If the radiance of a thousand suns
were to burst, at once, into the sky
It would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death, the shatterer of worlds.
TheGrandArbiterOfFunAndBalance
February 11, 2014 04:05PM
Hello,
I have some comments about Funbocks map lists that I want to share with you all :-)

1) Veterans may have played all the maps many times BUT we noobs still get kicks out of those 'official' maps very much.
2) People like different maps for different reasons (some just look cool, others are harder to learn, some have bugs).
3) Who gets to choose what maps are used and when can those decisions be renewed?

Most maps are good but there are not always adequate numbers of players available for bigger maps. So whayt about instead of removing maps you could re-organize them by size? ALPHA and GAMMA stay like they are but BETA gets some small and medium size maps so we can play TSA and/or TC when there are fewer players around.

( IF my likes/hates count for anything here they are: +Sandblasted, +Kogashima, +IvoryTower, -Inferno, -Taiga )
February 11, 2014 07:56PM
I like your name, you get my approval

Your idea is also interesting....I kinda like the idea of splitting up the servers by size....change their names to small/medium/large and run corresponding sized maps

what, in your opinion, is the avg number of players on a given server? ....or Haarp, you probably know the answer...

What I can see happening with your suggestion, is that the "small" server will always be full or mostly full while the other two will be ghost towns or populated by the run off from the "small" server...

February 11, 2014 10:28PM
Yeah, that's a problem. How to get people to migrate to the bigger server? And Currently we have barely enough players to fill one server at peak time. So maybe 20 to 30 players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 10:29PM by haarp.
February 11, 2014 10:42PM
20 - 30 players tops? prime time?

So never more than that?

Then I say make 2 servers

Alpha : tiny/small maps 10 players

Beta : Medium/large maps 20 players

at absolute max pop that will fill 2 servers...anything in between will spill over and not leave the other server with so few that they just leave...

TheGrandArbiterOfFunAndBalance
February 11, 2014 10:46PM
Hello again,
Thanks for the approving my name :-)

My original idea was not supposed to be as radical as your suggestion (for the very reason you described). More like a tweak to get BETA back into action. Maybe a little more tempting middle ground between ALPHA and GAMMA could be created.

Lately I have seen things evolve something like this: few players join GAMMA and games begin -> more players join until there are some 6 to10 pilots -> when current round ends all go to ALPAHA -> they play few small/medium maps and have fun -> next map is Enkeladus and most quit :-(

We need maps that correspond to current player numbers. I will trust server admins to take necessary steps to keep this game exciting for both noobs and veterans alike.

All I know about player numbers: [stats.spikx.net]
February 11, 2014 11:08PM
I remember Str1ker making voting an option in his update to rcon (or whatever it's called), maybe that would solve these issues?
February 12, 2014 12:04AM
Rajveer
I remember Str1ker making voting an option in his update to rcon (or whatever it's called), maybe that would solve these issues?
Yeah, and it's not a bad tool. It's just that it's a Windows tool eye rolling smiley Not much use unless I set up a win machine somewhere that does nothing else but run this tool. Eeeeh...

February 12, 2014 03:35AM
Ah right, that's a valid point. Hah imagine that, a dedicated Windows machine just for running rcon!
February 17, 2014 08:49PM
I could mail you my old tiny netbook I don't use much anymore?

February 18, 2014 10:25AM
Yalk
I could mail you my old tiny netbook I don't use much anymore?
Thanks, but nah. That's not the point. I would set up a shitty virtual machine if that was what's needed.

It's just such a huge workaround and effort, and it would effectively turn a proper terminal-based server that can be administrated easily into a separated, annoying, clicky-colory mess :/

June 17, 2014 04:40PM
Sorry there is no time to play now. Found little to publish the map.

Please download ver 1: [mwllmaps.com]

Add to game servers, please. Funbocks Alpha / Funbocks Beta. Thank you.

Low Gravity. Temperature: -40°C

D5 – Central Base – only medium mechs, ASF, VTOL base, rearm.

C6,F4 – Outpost – only repair and rearm

E4, E5, C5 – Strategic Area – only capture point

Hills \ Rocks near the main base of the parties have a forbidden area for the opposing team (for the opposite only). Marked on the minimap.

Topic: TC_IcePlanet : [forum.mechlivinglegends.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 04:41PM by RDL_Vitos.
April 08, 2016 12:50PM
in game:

Y> !rockthevote

Y>!vote 2

err: You can't select that map with only 8 players!
err: TSA_Sandblasted selected instead

drinking smiley

"The initial 90% of effort and time is needed to do the first 90% of work,
to do the remaining 10% of work; remaining 90% of effort and time is needed."