Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Map vote system feedback

Map vote system feedback
December 20, 2015 04:47PM
Map vote system is great! It thas saved player population many many times! thumbs up

In any case I have some feedback to be considered...

Observation1: if vote is initiated but there is less game time left than map vote cycle lasts then next map will be a random map.
Like this: Time left 1:00 -> !rockthevote -> to keep TC_Mirage as next map do not vote -> 1 - TC_Sandblasted -> !vote 1 -> TC_Sandblasted won with 1 vote -> next map is random, NOT TC_Mirage, NOT TC_Sandblasted.

Maybe add 'no vote possible time' close to end of map like we currently have during first 10 mins? This time period should be less than 2 mins (that is zero tickets win warning) so that player could still start vote cycle when one side runs out of tickets BUT it should be more than map vote cycle now takes to be useful.

Observation 2: 'to keep next-map-name do not vote' message does not show in chat log.

During heavy fighting that massage may go un-noticed. Maybe make it show in chat log or would that add too much useless log spam?
Re: Map vote system feedback
December 21, 2015 05:18PM
Thanks for your feedback!

1: I'll have a look at it, this is indeed something that shouldn't happen.

2: That's such an edge case that I won't be changing it. Players will notice it eventually.

If the radiance of a thousand suns
were to burst, at once, into the sky
It would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death, the shatterer of worlds.
January 05, 2016 09:41PM
Ok, I've implemented two changes. One, you can now say !nextmap and it'll show you the currently selected nextmap. Secondly, you cannot vote close to a mapchange.

January 08, 2016 10:22PM
!nextmap is great and works well.

We did some map vote tests and were able to vote just fine even during the last minute. Now it actually loads the map that wins the vote, so no more random maps.

Time left 00:20 -> !rockthevote -> to keep TC_IvoryTover as next map do not vote -> 1 - TC_Marshes -> !vote 1 -> map ends -> TC_IvoryTover loads up -> 15 seconds to game restart -> TC_Marshes won with 1 vote -> now it starts to load TC_Marshes
January 09, 2016 09:30AM
End of the game due to time limit or due to points? I can only predict that the game will soon end based on the time limit.

January 09, 2016 07:40PM
haarp
End of the game due to time limit or due to points? I can only predict that the game will soon end based on the time limit.

Votes were done testing end of the game due to time limit.

Testing how vote system works when one sides runs out of tickets will be far harder thing to do.
May 26, 2016 08:00PM
Another minor bug to report:

One player joins empty server with less than 2 mins left
-> !rockthevote -> to keep TSA_BadlandsV06 as next map do not vote -> 2 - TSA_Mirage -> !vote 2 -> TSA_BadlandsV06 won with 0 vote.

Happened to me twice today. Almost all map vote errors have something to do with map ending soon and/or just one player being connected.
July 23, 2016 10:08AM
Weird. The only way for a map to win with 0 votes is if the playercount is 0.

I think I know what's happening. You're voting right after joining, so the system doesn't know you yet. Therefore your vote doesn't count.

I've added a player check during the mapvote, this should fix it. I also made it so 0 is never enough votes for a win.

This fix will be deployed on our new server, once it's finished setting up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 10:19AM by haarp.
November 18, 2016 06:38PM
Currently after auto mapvote fails and we try to rockthevote again it says that voting has enended and tells what map wil be next.

Before we were able to rockthevote multiple times after failed auto mapvote to get our favorite maps.

Can we get the old system back? Some times we are in middle of big fight and can't vote during auto mapvote and end up with less popular or wrong size map.
November 18, 2016 07:46PM
Sounds like rigging the elections?
>_>

"The initial 90% of effort and time is needed to do the first 90% of work,
to do the remaining 10% of work; remaining 90% of effort and time is needed."
November 19, 2016 01:15PM
TheGrandArbiterOfFunAndBalance
Currently after auto mapvote fails and we try to rockthevote again it says that voting has enended and tells what map wil be next.

Before we were able to rockthevote multiple times after failed auto mapvote to get our favorite maps.

Can we get the old system back? Some times we are in middle of big fight and can't vote during auto mapvote and end up with less popular or wrong size map.
No, this is intentional. If you don't vote when it's time, you're stuck with the map now. Prevents abuse by people who just rtv repeatedly until they see something they like. You have 80 seconds to vote, that should be enough in any fight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 01:16PM by haarp.
November 20, 2016 01:18AM
Ok, so we just need to vote smart from now on.

Last friday evening when we were playing TC_Mirage the mapvote options came up like this:
TC_IvoryTower
TSA_Marshes
TSA_Marshes
TSA_Mirage

That was shocking, funny and sad confused smiley
November 20, 2016 08:13AM
Yes, I'm aware of this. Reason is that there are two TSA_Marshes versions now, one ticket-based, one score-based. I'll modify the script to only list the map once regardless.

November 20, 2016 10:11AM
^_^
No more election rigging

"The initial 90% of effort and time is needed to do the first 90% of work,
to do the remaining 10% of work; remaining 90% of effort and time is needed."
November 20, 2016 10:52AM
Imho all score based maps should be removed anyway.
March 05, 2017 08:51PM
Map voting system is still borked. It's fine to require a threshold for switching the map when it's a rock the vote. That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to require a threshold at the end of the round. When the timer runs out, the next map should ALWAYS be the one with the most votes, even if it was just 1 vote. This is how I think it should work:

"mapvote: type !1 !2 !3 or !4 to vote for the map you want. If no one votes, default will be !1"
March 06, 2017 10:06AM
warlordkentax
Map voting system is still borked. It's fine to require a threshold for switching the map when it's a rock the vote. That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to require a threshold at the end of the round. When the timer runs out, the next map should ALWAYS be the one with the most votes, even if it was just 1 vote. This is how I think it should work:

"mapvote: type !1 !2 !3 or !4 to vote for the map you want. If no one votes, default will be !1"

If you want to play the next map, you don't vote. If your suggestion is implemented, then one guy could decide which next map there should be, even though everyone else might just want to play the next map in rotation.

Unless you mean, that the next map in rotation should also be included in one of the 4 votes. But that would reduce the number of choices.
March 06, 2017 05:24PM
Spooky

If you want to play the next map, you don't vote. If your suggestion is implemented, then one guy could decide which next map there should be, even though everyone else might just want to play the next map in rotation.

Unless you mean, that the next map in rotation should also be included in one of the 4 votes. But that would reduce the number of choices.

Yes, 1 guy would get to decide the next map if no one else votes. Why is that a bad thing? There shouldn't be a "don't vote if you want X map" that's just dumb. Too many people dont vote, too many noobs dont know what they are doing, 1 vote should be enough. Too often, in a 20-player game, only 4 people vote and they all vote for different things so the next map is the default one in the rotation.

Just yesterday I told everybody to vote for Urban Jungle because they'd all been asking about city maps and wanted to try one. The map up next was desert sun, which I don't much care for. But the vote came out and it was a pathetic turn out. There were so many noobs on the server last night they didn't even know how to vote. They even asked about it after the vote was over "how do I vote?" I then told them, and they voted, even though voting was over. It was too late.

The short answer here is that people don't vote... because they are noobs, don't notice the prompt, or are too busy playing. People not voting is rarely about keeping the next map in the rotation.
March 06, 2017 05:25PM
The only time that 1 guy shouldn't be able to pass a vote should be when there is a "rockthevote" going on. Because that's when you are trying to end the map that everyone is currently playing on and people have a legitimate interest in not voting if they want to keep their current cbills and stuff.
March 06, 2017 09:38PM
warlordkentax
Yes, 1 guy would get to decide the next map if no one else votes. Why is that a bad thing? There shouldn't be a "don't vote if you want X map" that's just dumb. Too many people dont vote, too many noobs dont know what they are doing, 1 vote should be enough. Too often, in a 20-player game, only 4 people vote and they all vote for different things so the next map is the default one in the rotation.

Just yesterday I told everybody to vote for Urban Jungle because they'd all been asking about city maps and wanted to try one. The map up next was desert sun, which I don't much care for. But the vote came out and it was a pathetic turn out. There were so many noobs on the server last night they didn't even know how to vote. They even asked about it after the vote was over "how do I vote?" I then told them, and they voted, even though voting was over. It was too late.

The short answer here is that people don't vote... because they are noobs, don't notice the prompt, or are too busy playing. People not voting is rarely about keeping the next map in the rotation.

So, if the choices are

1. TSA_Extremity
  2. TSA_Sandblasted
  3. TSA_Thunder Rift
  4. TC_Taiga

and the next map would be TC_DeathValley, and one idiot types

!1

in chat, you want that idiot to give the power to cause a bad time for everyone, rather than being able to play a good map - in this case, the next one in line?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 09:39PM by Spooky.
March 06, 2017 09:58PM
No I'm saying we should get rid of that as an option entirely. The options should be !1, !2, !3, or !4 and the default is !1

There should be no 5th map.

The default shouldn't be some random map that you can't even vote for.

Not voting shouldn't be a vote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 10:02PM by warlordkentax.
March 07, 2017 01:56AM
When you have 20 players right now, the threshold is 4. Which basically means this:

Server: Map voting has started, type !# for which one you want, but you cant vote for 0, if you want map 0, don't vote
Server: 0 TC_DeathValley
Server: 1 TSA_Extremity
Server: 2 TSA_Sandblasted
Server: 3 TSA_Thunder Rift
Server: 4 TC_Taiga

then the server essentially puts 3 votes out for 0

Server: !0

now if the players want to play a different map (maybe they've already played DeathValley 6 times today), 4 of them have to vote for one specific map and if the vote is split too much, then the server wins the vote.

----------------------------

This is the way it should be

Server: Map voting has started, type !# for which one you want, if no one votes, the server will default to Map 1
Server: 1 TC_DeathValley
Server: 2 TSA_Extremity
Server: 3 TSA_Sandblasted
Server: 4 TSA_Thunder Rift

----------------------------

The only time that there should be a voter threshold is with rockthevote.

Server: Rockthevote map voting has started, type !# for which one you want, don't vote if you want to stay on this map

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 01:58AM by warlordkentax.
March 07, 2017 01:20PM
Sure, if Haarp can implement all that, I am all for it smiling smiley
March 07, 2017 01:45PM
drinking smiley

March 12, 2017 06:58PM
That would reduce possible results from 5 to 4? Not the best way to improve map vote system if you ask me. eye rolling smiley
March 13, 2017 06:56AM
TheGrandArbiterOfFunAndBalance
That would reduce possible results from 5 to 4? Not the best way to improve map vote system if you ask me. eye rolling smiley

Whatever, I don't care

If you don't like it that way you could just add one more on.

Server: Map voting has started, type !# for which one you want, if no one votes, the server will default to Map 1
Server: 5 TC_Taiga
March 13, 2017 02:19PM
The reason it works the way it does is because I don't want to act until I have a majority*, to prevent problems or whining.

* majority already being far less than 50%

March 13, 2017 04:30PM
Yes we already know that. (Or at least I do)

And that is fair and makes sense during rock the vote.

But during end-of-round voting it makes it seem like my vote doesn't even matter.

People not voting shouldn't get a say.

Rock the vote is more like a plebiscite and less like an election so there's a difference.

All I can tell you is that the way things are now is really frustrating when there's like 17 noobs and 3 veterans in game, only 3 people vote for the best and coolest map and the noobs ruin it by not voting. At end of round voting, that shouldn't be a thing.
March 13, 2017 04:31PM
warlordkentax
If you don't like it that way you could just add one more on.
Your basic idea is ok and would make vote more beginner friendly. I just wanted to say that we have many good maps and reducing vote options would cause less diversity.